First Year Florida is a course designed to aid students in a successful transition to the University of Florida. This course aims to help students develop a foundation for a well-rounded college experience, connect students to the University of Florida, promote engagement within and outside the classroom and communicate university expectations. The First Year Florida Peer Leader Program aids students in making a successful transition by connecting new students with upper-division students who serve as a facilitator, resource, role model, and representative of UF.
As a result of serving as a First Year Florida Peer Leader, students will:
- Develop transferable skills that are relevant to their personal and professional goals.
- Identify and establish a network of faculty, staff, and students across campus.
- Identify their strengths and leadership style.
- Enhance verbal and non-verbal communication skills through public speaking, presentations, group facilitation and student interaction.
- Discover campus resources, services, and tools that contribute to student success at the University of Florida.
- Enroll in a two-credit training course, IDS 4930 The 3 S’s of Success during Spring 2019 and a one-credit course, IDS 4905 Facilitating First Year Florida during their first teaching semester.
- Attend the Peer Leader Retreat on January 11-12.
- Attend the Transitions Mini-Conference on April 25.
Serve as a Resource
- Attend all First Year Florida classes.
- Be accessible and able to attend regular meetings with their co-instructors prior to their teaching semester and extending through their service.
- Become familiar with the needs of new students.
- Be accessible and willing to assist with informational needs of students.
- Communicate accurate and timely information to students about academic and student resources.
Serve as a Facilitator
- Meet regularly with your teaching partner to plan each class and effectively communicate with one another.
- Collect and respond to weekly assignments from students.
- Prepare and conduct well-organized presentations, class discussions, and activities on various topics.
- Plan out-of-class activities such as the service projects, Common Reading Program events, community building, etc.
Serve as a Representative of UF
- Serve as an academic and social role model.
- Maintain appropriate and professional social media activities.
- Respond appropriately to feedback and evaluations.
- Exhibit leadership potential and a strong commitment to the mission of New Student & Family Programs and the First Year Florida program.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism.
- Ability to think critically, manage conflict, problem-solve, adapt to change, work independently and collaboratively, and provide effective feedback.
- Exhibit strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to effectively facilitate and instruct a diverse group of students and peers.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn new things and maintain an open-mind.
- Not have been found in violation of the UF Student Code of Conduct or Honor Code; record will be verified.
- Be a full-time undergraduate student at the University of Florida.
- Have at least a 2.75 GPA during time of application submission.
- Agree to abide by professional and ethical standards of conduct, including following all university regulations and civic laws, for the duration of the appointment.